No Licence Required
Easy to Drive
Perfect for Cruising
Enjoy an Easy Self-Drive Melbourne Boat Cruise With Edgar J
Indulge in the luxury of the Edgar J. This stunning vessel is an open boat perfect for sun lovers, with uninterrupted views of the picturesque Yarra River. With a licence to seat up to 10 passengers, the Edgar J offers a private and exclusive cruising experience, designed to create a feeling of ownership of your own vessel for the duration of your cruise down the Yarra River.
Experience the tranquillity of a fully electric powered vessel as you sail the waters of Melbourne, enjoying the peace and quiet with no fumes or emissions. The best thing of all, there’s no need for a licence, and with the self-drive hire option, you can take control of your own adventure.
Why Hire the Edgar J?
Experience the epitome of luxury with our high-end and comfortable Edgar J and ensure a lavish and indulgent journey for all passengers
Enjoy the privilege of a private and exclusive experience on board, as the vessels are specifically designed to provide an intimate atmosphere
Immerse yourself in a serene and tranquil journey aboard the environmentally friendly, fully electric-powered Edgar J, gliding through the water without any noise or fumes
Take control of your own adventure with self-drive hire or opt for a hassle-free cruise with experienced skippers, catering to your specific preferences
Embark on a captivating journey as you sail past Melbourne's iconic landmarks, including the breathtaking Botanical Gardens, picturesque Herring Island Park, and the legendary Melbourne Cricket Ground
Edgar J is is completely open with just a roof, making it the perfect option for those seeking unlimited, panoramic views of Melbourne
Click the Tabs for More Information
Self-Drive Boat Hire Details
From AUD $279.00
To be confirmed when booking
45 Newquay Promenade, Docklands, Victoria
All year round
Number of passengers
Up to 10 passengers max.
- Electric powered – no noise, no fumes, and no emissions
- Open boat for sun lovers with uninterrupted views
- Max speed 5 knots
- One table with a white tablecloth supplied
- Stereo with Bluetooth connection
- USB charging port for phones
What to bring
- Charged mobile phone
- Drinks, food or snacks*
*Additional fees apply for BYO food & drinks
This self-drive boat hire does not include a skipper or other crew members. If you prefer a skippered cruise, click HERE to look at our skippered private luxury cruises.
Your Self-Drive Hire Experience
Edgar J can seat up to 10 passengers. A prime example of luxury cruising at its finest. Fully electric-powered, it offers a serene and tranquil journey, free from the noise and fumes associated with other vessels.
With no licence required, you can choose the self-drive hire option to take the helm and steer your adventure. Alternatively, our experienced skippers are on hand to provide a fully catered luxury cruise, where all you need to do is sit back, relax, and take in the breathtaking beauty of the Yarra River and its surrounds.
Sail past Melbourne’s iconic landmarks, including the Botanical Gardens, Herring Island Park, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Southbank, Federation Square, and Docklands, from a new perspective. Whether you opt for a day or evening cruise, the Eliza J provides everything you need for an unforgettable experience on the water. Come aboard and let us take you on a journey of luxury and relaxation.
Instructions & Hirer Agreement
Prepare for your Self-Drive Boat Hire experience by watching our short instructional video below. We also recommend you download our map and brochure for further information to ensure you have a smooth cruising experience.
When you feel confident and ready to book your self-drive experience, please CLICK HERE to complete our online hire agreement. The person driving the boat is required to fill out the hire agreement.
Terms & Conditions of Hire
1. A security bond of $500 is required and taken as pre-authorization from a valid credit or debit card before hire commences. If no damage or incident, the boat is returned on time and in a clean state, as received then the security bond is released. This may take seven (7) business days to be released depending on your bank.
2. The hirer must arrive 15 minutes prior to hiring time for boat operation and safety briefing
3. If you arrive late, your booking end-hire time remains the same and cannot be moved back
4. Late return of boat will incur a charge of $50 per 15 minutes late
5. The hirer is responsible for all damages to the boat when on hire
6. If the boat is returned back in an unacceptable clean state not similar to received then a cleaning fee of $100 will apply
7. The hirer/ nominated driver must be over the age of 21 and provide a copy of valid identification such as a driver’s licence
8. No smoking onboard – If any evidence of smoking on board the $500 security bond will not be returned
9. No fishing from the boat
10. No swimming from the boat
11. The nominated driver must remain under .00 blood alcohol content at all times during the hire
12. The hirer must inform of any incidents or any injuries during the hire period
13. The hirer must have a functioning mobile phone in case of emergency
14. Melbourne Boat Hire is not responsible for personal belongings
15. The hirer must adhere to all applicable nautical rules
16. Pricing may vary
17. No refund will be given if the boat is returned earlier than the due time
18. The hirer is responsible for the safety of all passengers on board
19. In the event of needing assistance due to the hirer’s own fault and not following instructions a call-out fee of $250 will apply
20. From time to time there are river closures out of our control, which may affect the cruising route on the Yarra River, this may be for a rowing contest, Moomba festival, or emergency response. We cannot guarantee on the day of your booking that there is not a river closure.
1. In the event of cancellation, the hirer must provide at least 7 days’ notice and the booking can be rescheduled to another date within 12 months. If cancellation is received less than 7 days prior to booking will be forfeited.
2. If extreme weather prevents the hirer from undertaking the booking, the booking will be rescheduled to an available date within 12 months from the original booking date. No refund will be given.
3. Each change request for a booking date or time will incur an administration fee of $50.
4. Only at the discretion of the Manager will a refund be considered. In the event, a refund is given and a $50 administration charge will incur.
For more information and instructions on our Self-Drive Hire Boats, please download our brochure by clicking the button below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, a $500 security bond is taken as a pre-authorization via debit or credit card. This is part of our online hire agreement. When the boat is returned in the same condition as you received and without any incidents than the pre-authorization of $500 will be removed from your account. This can take up to 7 days.
The person driving the boat is required to fill out the hire agreement, they will become the hirer and driver and be responsible for the boat and passengers during the hire period. Any of the passengers can supply their debit/credit card for the $500 security bond.
Yes! Kids are allowed onboard. Any person under 10 years of age must wear a lifejacket at all times. Upon booking please let us know how many kids attending and the lifejacket sizes required.
No, the person driving the boat must remain sober and have .00 BAC at all times. Victorian Water Police patrol our waterways regularly and it is a serious offense.
No, you do not require to have a boat licence. Our electric boats are very easy and safe to drive.
Edgar J is licensed for a maximum of 10.
Unfortunately we do not allow any form of BBQ or cooking device onboard our boats. If you are keen to have a BBQ there are spots along the Yarra and Maribyrnong Rivers that have BBQ facilities onshore. Most people will bring cold platters or order from our catering options.
You will be sent a confirmation email confirming the booking (please check your junk email) and attached will be our instructions with information regarding the hire.